Skip to main content

Mineclass

Mineclass

This unit we learned about argument and went to several different aldermen. Here I am proposing a class about city planning using Mincecraft.
It is important to learn about urban planning and political systems. The way Minecraft is designed allows for an in depth experience with trial and error surrounding a functional town with several people playing. Teaching with Minecraft opens eyes to a different way of learning.The reason we go to school every day is to learn and to prepare us to become a competent member of society. In Minecraft multiplayer servers you can often find yourselves forming alliances and naturally forming governments. Many servers I'm in, creates automated systems and support for those who don't have the same resources as those who have played for a long time. You have to plan in a very organic way. It can be used similar to a simulation
As a student I have the right to learn about the real world. After all that is what we are supposed to be prepared for. Minecraft may not be real but the socialization and the systems involved are. Minecraft is an environment filled with trying to figure things out and how to make new productive systems. Often times there are servers filled with people who form groups and trade with others. Currencies tend to form naturally after a bit and this creates an organized social system.
How can we form an online environment with an organized system using Minecraft to learn? We can check in and write summaries about what has changed in the past week. Students can create a world where they start with nothing and so everything they work for becomes very personal and ends up feeling like worldly possessions. There can be checkpoints for each week. 
Goals for each week
Week 1: A shelter for everyone to stay in. 
Week 2: Farms that can successfully feed everyone
Week 3: A trading center
Week 4: Designated roles for everyone
Week 5: Currency is formed 
Week 6: Elections and government officials 

Learning environments generally cater to a less interactive form of learning. Learning these subjects using Minecraft allows for learning with a different set of skills. There are city planning jobs. Minecraft worlds can be organized in a way that imitates city planning without the real life consequences. This allows for trial and error without fear. 
In the late 19th century there was an industrial revolution. There became all sorts of automated systems and urban areas became much more structured. If used correctly, Minecraft can follow this too. 
The goals for the end of class
  1. Form a lay out for a city/town in Minecraft
  2. Set up a political system, taking in to account those who don't have the resources others may have
  3. Form automated systems that provide food and supplies. 
Resources that would be used:

  1. Les pollock urban planner lpollock@camiros.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digging our self a better shovel

Digging our way into a better shovel Action project on tools In this Unit we learned about tools and empathy. We redesigned the shovel to make it easier to use for those who have a hard time with balance. We designed the tool for those with balance and joint issues. The elderly often have that problem. Empathy is about thinking of others' situations and trying to relate. This project really focused on those who may not have as good balance as I do. I got lucky with that and not everyone else has. It's important not to assume everyone can do what you can. This tool is a wedge and a lever. You use your hand as a fulcrum and your legs as the weight to wedge the blade into the soil.  As a class we tried planting flowers with and without tools in the garden. This allowed us to see how tools work and what they do. We interviewed a gardener so we could gather more information about tools. We went to Home Depot to look a their tools and try some out. It was very eyeopening

Sleep Away Camp

In the summer of 2019 I spent three weeks volunteering at a sleep away camp. I taught archery with a long bow and took care of 7-15 year old during the hours I wasn't teaching. I learned so much from this experience. I took responsibility and created fun activities for the kids to keep them entertained. I really grew up during my time there. Having to take care of so many kids and help them process their emotions was eye opening. The sunset there was beautiful and I made so many wonderful memories. The sunset one night before a storm. The archery range I worked at. A target I made for the kids that I named the Quacken.

Chatting with a bot

Chatting with a bot This was the last action project for my coding class. For this action project we made a chat bot. We had to have 5 questions to ask you. I wanted to be a bit funny with my questions. I learned a lot making the bot. I learned to think differently about how to ask questions and how to write in a way that a computer and a person could understand. I really liked the creativity I was able to express in this project.  I struggled with my spelling in this project. When something is written in code there isn't spell check. That made things a lot more complicated. I wasn't quite sure how to organize some of the questions and how to create sub questions. I enjoyed making the bot and being able to add some humor to the project. Often coding seems very sterile and boring but being able to make my own questions made it a lot more interesting.