Skip to main content

bodies and bills

Bodies and Bills
Patricia Van Pelt,
This bill is important because it creates a system that will hold non-transplant organ donation organizations accountable. The Non-Transplant Organ Donation Regulation Act is necessary. The fact that it isn’t already established is horrible but thank you for pushing for it. The lack of transparency in many organizations is appalling and this will help reverse that.
When you lose someone it can be incredibly hard, especially when donating human remains. You need to know the organizations you are donating to are ethical and trustworthy. This bill prevents those organizations from taking advantage of grieving loved ones. In the next election, I will be able to vote and if you keep on advocating for this bill I will support you. This bill shows caring and respect towards the grieving and the desire for transparency in non-transplant organ donation organizations. This bill means that educators and many more can get access to organs/ human remains ethically. It is incredibly admirable the way you have pushed for this bill. Our bodies are physical representations of ourselves and you are making sure we stay respected after death. 
I was born with 11 fingers. My family was able to keep it but had we not been able to it would have been donated. I would want to be able to trust that a part of me would be used responsibly. It's a part of me even if it isn't connected anymore and it should be treated that way by organizations.
There have been many cases of abuse after donation and this will prevent that. Jim Stauffer donated his mother's body to science after she died due to Alzheimer's. He was told that her brain would be used for research but instead, she was blown up to test bombs. There was not the level of documentation this bill would require. That would have not been able to happen in the first place with this bill in place. There would have been a document trail that would have been open to the government and legal officials. Every movement of the body would have had to be tracked. The same group that blew up his mom was raided by the FBI and found piles of limbs and cut up body parts disorganized in freezers. One doctor was taking organs from post mortem children without care and didn't use them for proper research. 
Some may think that this bill is an overstepping of government and that people should do their own research. Well, people should do their own research when donating family members body parts, it shouldn't be required. People are grieving and they should be able to trust the government to protect their loved ones from predatory organizations. The government must prevent the vulnerable from being prayed upon.
The Non-Transplant Organ Donation Regulation Act creates a system to protect the grieving and to respect the dead. It makes complete sense and allows for the trustworthy to control the industry.
-LM


Sini, Rozina. “A Body Donated to Science - but Used to Test Bombs.” BBC News, BBC, 6 Aug. 2019, www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405.

Gajanan, Mahita. “Lawsuit Accuses Arizona Body Donation Company of Mistreating Bodies.” Time, Time, 26 July 2019, time.com/5636486/fbi-body-donation-arizona/.

Adam, David. “Tissue Donations Slump after Revelations about Misuse.” Nature News, Nature Publishing Group, 8 Feb. 2001, www.nature.com/articles/35055696.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digging our self a better shovel

Digging our way into a better shovel Action project on tools In this Unit we learned about tools and empathy. We redesigned the shovel to make it easier to use for those who have a hard time with balance. We designed the tool for those with balance and joint issues. The elderly often have that problem. Empathy is about thinking of others' situations and trying to relate. This project really focused on those who may not have as good balance as I do. I got lucky with that and not everyone else has. It's important not to assume everyone can do what you can. This tool is a wedge and a lever. You use your hand as a fulcrum and your legs as the weight to wedge the blade into the soil.  As a class we tried planting flowers with and without tools in the garden. This allowed us to see how tools work and what they do. We interviewed a gardener so we could gather more information about tools. We went to Home Depot to look a their tools and try some out. It was very eyeopening

Sleep Away Camp

In the summer of 2019 I spent three weeks volunteering at a sleep away camp. I taught archery with a long bow and took care of 7-15 year old during the hours I wasn't teaching. I learned so much from this experience. I took responsibility and created fun activities for the kids to keep them entertained. I really grew up during my time there. Having to take care of so many kids and help them process their emotions was eye opening. The sunset there was beautiful and I made so many wonderful memories. The sunset one night before a storm. The archery range I worked at. A target I made for the kids that I named the Quacken.

Chatting with a bot

Chatting with a bot This was the last action project for my coding class. For this action project we made a chat bot. We had to have 5 questions to ask you. I wanted to be a bit funny with my questions. I learned a lot making the bot. I learned to think differently about how to ask questions and how to write in a way that a computer and a person could understand. I really liked the creativity I was able to express in this project.  I struggled with my spelling in this project. When something is written in code there isn't spell check. That made things a lot more complicated. I wasn't quite sure how to organize some of the questions and how to create sub questions. I enjoyed making the bot and being able to add some humor to the project. Often coding seems very sterile and boring but being able to make my own questions made it a lot more interesting.